Review : Onward

21.51

Onward, another typical of Disney x Pixar movie that showcases the relationship within the characters. The scene was opened with a brief history of the magic world that was slowly forgotten by people due to the advance of technology. There is a family that consists of three people, the mother, the first son (Barley), and the youngest (Ian). Barley, a careless, noisy, and short thinking kind of brother while Ian is constrained, careful, and tend to think a lot. They obviously have quite opposite characters.   

On Ian's 16 birthday, he gets a present from his father who had passed away. Surprisingly, the present is a magic stick (with the diamond?) that should be cast to awake his dead father for 24 hours. Due to the lack of magic knowledge, Ian only could awake the lower part (the legs and hip) of his father's body. So instead, he has to find a way aka look for the diamond. The adventure begins. My favorite scene is when Ian crosses the invisible bridge roped off by Barley to assure his safety to not fall but it breaks without Ian's concern in the second half. Such a tense scene, I love how it shows the trust of each other and how Barley overcome his worries without showing it to Ian. It is not easy, I guess. There is also one scene when Ian let Barley replace him to talk to his father before him gone. The emotions and sincerity of Ian hit me hard. We know he really wants to meet or just even stare at his father for a moment, knowing that he never interacted before. Instead, he let Barley who basically had known and felt the warmness of his childhood with him. I cried so much because of this scene. 

This movie may not be having a really high score or even many of the reviewers feel a bit disappointed knowing the fact that they always compare to Coco or Inside Out. I agree, this movie is not as good as Coco but I still feel enjoying it so much.

a. Animations, I would give 8 as for Pixar standard, I know it could be better. 

b. Storyline, I would give 7,8. It's very enjoyable but there are some missing points. Also, the transition from the real world that changed to the magical world is a bit rushy. 

c. Characters, I would give 8. It's typical, unsurprising, but it's still given me the feeling. I just really love the character's development of both Ian and Barley. 

d. Screenplay, I would give 7. Disney x Pixar has a slightly different type of screenplay while Pixar is more matured, I guess. 

e. Music, I would give 7. It's good but forgettable. 

Pixar never failed to make me cry, no exception for Onward. I started crying when Barley sacrifices his beloved car crashed to save both of them and how Ian let Barley meet their father for the last time. It's a pure brotherhood love. 



You Might Also Like

0 komentar